Thursday, December 8, 2011

Environmental Issues: Pollution


          I think the most pressing environmental issue today is pollution.  I feel that when talking about environmental issues, people discuss global warming, over fishing, etc, and pollution gets overlooked.  Land, water, and air pollution are all major problems.  Here are a few facts about pollution: Over 80% of items in landfills can be recycled, vehicle exhaust contributes about 60% of all carbon monoxide emissions nationwide, and 40% of America’s rivers and 46% of America’s lakes are too polluted for fishing, swimming, or aquatic life (dosomething.org).  Where will the world be without clean water to use and drink, clean air to breathe, and uncontaminated land to live on?!  If I were given a large sum of money from a wealthy benefactor, I would allocate it towards many different problems and not just pollution.  I would try to divvy up the funds amongst many environmental problems.  One specific thing I would do to suppose environmental issues is to encourage the country to have a more sustainable outlook on life.  Being an education major, I would want to start in schools.  I would start a nationwide program that encourages children to think more about their environment.  It would be similar to drug awareness programs.


http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-pollution

No comments:

Post a Comment