Sunday, December 11, 2011

Estero Island Cottage and Matanzas Pass


         This field trip was one of my favorite from the semester.  I enjoyed listening to Miss Joe talk at the Estero cottage.  She was interesting and so cute!  I think that if someone else would have told me the same stories she did, it would not have been as interesting.  It was cool to listen to her speak about her life and historical events that she was actually a part of.  Matanzas pass was also pretty cool.  The walkway had pretty foliage and a nice quiet scenic view at the end of the path.   The local quality of life in Estero is being enhanced by trying to preserve environmental places like Matanzas pass, as well as historical landmarks like one of the Calusa Indian home that still stands.  My hometown of Lakeland has changed slightly since I moved there at the age of seven.  There are more roads, buildings, and houses that were built where orange groves and forests used to be.  In my neighborhood alone, many trees have been cut down to build new houses.  My backyard used to be a forest of tall trees, but now it’s a two story house with a pool.  Even though Lakeland is growing, downtown Lakeland is still scenic and makes me feel a sense of community.  Downtown Lakeland has many lakes with paths around them and ducks to feed.  There are also many parks for people to visit.   If a developer offered me 300% of the market value of my childhood home to develop condos, I would not take it.  Lakeland doesn’t need condos.  I love the greenery that is left in Lakeland and I want it to stay that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment